Geographical Location: West coast of Africa
Population: 180 Million
Major Source of Income: Petroleum, at least 2 million barrels of oil daily (about 98% of national income).
Religion: Christianity and Islam (approx. ratio of 1:1)
Independence: October 1, 1960, previously under British colonial rule
Government: Democracy, but subject to military coups.
Official Language: English
Education: Very poor due to the government’s negligence and lack of commitment to educational programs.
- 5th largest oil producing country in the world
- 5th oil supplying country to the U.S.
- Home of international authors, musicians, Nobel prize winners,
(Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka)
- Most populous country in Africa
- Richest African country, with numerous untapped human, mineral and natural resources, but actually one of the cash poorest countries on the continent